The last four months

So obviously it’s been a while since I’ve updated the blog so listed below are some things we’ve been up to since September.

September 19, 2009
The Phoenix Symphony Oscar Night!! They performed some of the greatest scores from films such as Titanic, The Godfather, Chariots of Fire, Gone with the Wind and The Lord of the Rings, and other classics such as “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s and “Lara’s Theme” from Dr. Zhivago. I think one of my favorites was “The Exodus” from Ben-Hur and one of Darren’s was the theme from Rocky. We even had the opportunity to walk the red carpet and have our picture taken by the paparazzi. We’ve could have also posed for a photo with the life-sized Oscar statues but the line was too long. The “statues” were technically two guys painted in gold but they did such a good job at remaining still I couldn’t tell if they were real or not. It’s always fun to get dressed up and go out on the town with my man.



October 24, 2009
Darren surprised me with a day date to Kartchner Caverns, just outside Benson, AZ. He planned it for weeks and wouldn’t give me one single detail. I love surprises but I absolutely cannot help but ask lots of questions in order to try and guess. Since Darren wouldn’t answer any of my logical and rational inquiries, I had to resort to questions like the following:

Me: Fine. Then give me a color.
Darren: A color???
Me: Yeah. A color. (I have no idea why he was so confused. It’s a perfectly logical question) ;o)
Darren: What do you mean a color?
Me: Give me a color that would best describe what we’re going to do?
Darren (with such an unsure and intrigued look on his face): Okaaayyyy. Yellow.
Me: Yellow huh? Soooo….it’s going to be something that requires some energy like hiking, cuz yellow is a bright, hyper-like color. Either that or it’s something outside so it’s going to be hot, like the yellow sun. Am I right? Am I right?
Darren: Ummm. Sure. (This is the point where he starts (at least outwardly) laughing and questioning my sanity)

He even tried to throw me off by getting on the eastbound freeway from Gilbert Rd. Prior to that I thought I had guessed it. But after he finally got off the freeway and turned around to head west, I knew I had it figured out.

It was a perfect surprise. I had never been to Kartchner Caverns before and it was absolutely astounding!! It’s mind boggling to think about how caves are made and how they continue to thrive. We did the Rotunda/Throne Tour which is about .5 mile in length and takes about an hour or so to complete. At the end of the tour they do a light show centered around "Kubla Khan”, the largest column formation in Arizona. It’s really cool to see all the shadows that the lights and formations create. I can’t imagine being one of the first people in search of this cave who crawled on their hands and knees in complete and utter darkness until they ran into this gigantic column. Crazy!! I don’t have any pictures since they weren’t allowed, but you can click here to see some from a website I found.
0 Responses