Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Kim: We had a lot of fun in Cesky Krumlov. It’s a fun little fairy-tale town with a lot of character. Our main event here was canoeing down the Vltava River. We opted for the 3 hour trip that took us from Cesky Krumlov through Bohemian forests and villages to Zlata Koruna Abbey. The trip started out perfect: a nice overcast-day providing a welcome break from the never-ending heat, a canoe and a cool, flowing river. About 30 minutes down the river, the story changes. Rain! And not just any rain, an absolute down pouring of rain. So overwhelming in fact that Darren and I could no longer hold a conversation due to the deafening sound of the rain hitting the surface of the water. We were completely soaked within 5 minutes. And due to the lack of sunshine that we were previously so happy about, it became bitterly cold. Amidst all this chaos, we found plenty of time to laugh at our plight. I can only imagine what we must have looked like to the onlookers on shore, huddled under bits of shelter. Funny! But alas, we weathered the storm and survived. And don’t forget the fun memories made. Just ask Darren how he managed to get us stuck on some rocks in the middle of the river. haha. Just kidding babe. :)

Darren: Now wait just a second, it takes two to tango, two to canoe, and two to get stuck on the rocks. But it was nice to have two to get us unstuck too. Love you. The canoe trip was absolutely the highlight for me. We went down two of these thin canals that felt like a roller coaster. The rain was hilarious, then a bit cold, and then it was a funny again to us after we’d warmed back up a bit. I have to add this next part cause it was hilarious. There were these bugs, like horse flies, that would not go away. They would buzz you like other bugs but they weren’t at all affected by a swatting hand or any amount of threatening. Well, they kept landing on Kim’s back, and since I had an oar, and she was within range, I’d tell her not to move and then I’d try and smash them or swipe them off her back at least. I must have killed 20 of those things and they were all floating in the canoe in the rain water that was filling our poor little water craft. I tell you what, I can still hear Kim as she’d look back and say, “ew, disgusting!!”

Kim: After our canoeing trip, the rental company provided us with bikes to ride back to Cesky Krumlov. The experience was fun while the path itself was a bit treacherous. Apparently they haven’t taken the time to create bike paths yet so our trip back was on the side of major highways dodging semis and trucks, or yet them dodging us. Sure glad we made it back in one piece. What an incredibly adventurous day. I love those memories with my hubby.

Funny Czech words: Dekuji (dyack kuyi): Thank you
                                 Prosim (prozeem): Please
                                 Ahoj (a-hoy): hi or bye

 **(I loved  this one! I kept hearing in my head that line from Bill  Murray in What About Bob, "I'm a sailor, I'm sailing! Ahoy!!) LOL

Yummy Czech food: *Pike perch with white asparagus. Yum!
                                 *Buckwheat and millet casserole,
                                 *potato pancakes,
                                 *potato, cabbage and daisy soup (I even ate the daisy)
                                 *sauerkraut
                                 *couscous with plums and raisins (sounds weird but actually
                                   pretty good)
                                 *curried lentils

Darren: One other funny story from Cesky Krumlov. The second day we were there it got really hot. We’d heard there was a public swimming pool. So, we got suited up and walked over to the indoor pool. When we got there I was trying to converse with the lady and ask if the water was heated or if it was cold. We were terribly hot and the last thing we wanted was to pay money to jump into an indoor, heated swimming pool. It was hilarious trying to ask the lady if I could just go through the glass door and test the water. It was like trying to say, “may I just go stick my foot in?” with charades. Somehow she got the message and I did go stick my toe in. It was cool water and swimming was great. Oh, the memories though. Wonder what some of these people’s stories must be like on the other side of these experiences. “This crazy American came into the pool today…wanted to stick his foot in, etc. etc.” Love it. :)
0 Responses