Terezin continued...

After the war, many poems and children's drawings were found hidden at Terezin inside mattresses and stuffed in cracks between the walls of houses. Many of these poems and drawings are collected in a book which was published by the Holocaust Museum entitled "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" (which Darren and I would like to get someday). This was one poem that we both read in the museum and wanted to share, along with some pics of the childrens' drawing.

AT TEREZIN

When a new child comes
Everything seems strange to him.
What, on the ground I have to lie?
Eat black potatoes? No! Not I!
I've got to stay? It's dirty here!
The floor- why, look, it's dirt, I fear!
And I'm supposed to sleep on it?
I'll get all dirty!
Here the sound of shouting, cries,
And oh, so many flies.
Everyone knows flies carry disease.
Oooh, something bit me! Wasn't that a bedbug?
Here in Terezin, life is hell
and when I'll go home again, I can't yet tell.

--"Teddy" 1943
 


0 Responses